Saturday, April 6, 2013

Pickles


Pickles are a good item to have in your fridge cuz there a really good snack.
I had a lot of extra veggies after passover, so I decided to start pickling stuff
I ended up with cauliflower, beets, carrots, peppers, and cucumbers (real pickles).
I also tried my hand at some fruit with my extra pickling juice, and it did not work out good. Dont do that.
But do do pickles
haha do do.
This is my momma's age old recipe  if it tastes different from your momma's then thats your problem cuz my momma makes the best pickles.
<3

What you need: 
ANY VEGGIES
6 cups of water
1 cup of  distilled white vinegar
1/2 a cup of kosher salt
about 12 cloves of garlic chopped ( I used 4 spoons of already-crushed garlic from a jar)
red pepper flakes
oregano

What you need to do:

1) Clean and chop up the vegetables- I like to make them into bite size pieces so its easy to eat.


2) Fill big jars with the veggies. Put beets and cauliflower together, cuz the red makes the cauliflower delicious. Peppers and carrots can go together, and the cucumbers are big so I put them alone.




3) Put 6 cups of water to boil. The "cups" in this recipe isn't strictly 8 ounce cups. My family measures things in ratios, so its 6 water: 1 vinegar : 1/2 salt, and that will make you juice for roughly 2 jars.


4) When the water boils, lower the fire and pour in vinegar, salt, garlic, and red pepper. mix it and let it come to a boil for another second. 
                                      Garlic                                            White vinegar 

Salt

 red pepper

oregano


boiling!!


5) Let the stuff cool for a little, then fill the jars. Its real easy to use a ladle.


Making sure the garlic goes in








6) Fill the jars to the top of the veggies (doesnt need to be at the top of the jar, just covering the pickles), and close the jars.


7) Put the jars in a dark place. Now this flabbergasts my whole family bc none of us know why they need to be dark, but thats the way we do it. We cover them with towels.


8) Let them sit for TWO days. Dont do what Daniel and I do and taste them every day. Pro-tip: cucumbers taste awesome after just one day!

9) Throw em in the fridge and snack, or serve em. Don't be afraid to experiment with different veggies, and if you do, let me know what works!

No comments:

Post a Comment