Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Biscuitey type Pastries. Lets just call them Biscuits

You guys I've been the worst blogger ever these past few months.
No excuses, but here I am back on the saddle!

This past Friday my dad took me for brunch, and I ordered a biscuit. It. Was. Delicious!!!!
So so good, its all I could think about.

Today I was thinking about it, so I made my own Biscuit. Its not a traditional biscuit, more like a cross between a biscuit and a cookie.
Whatever, its good.
Make it,  enjoy it, start ordering biscuits at brunch.
Circle of life.





What you need: 

3 cups flour
2/3 cups sugar
5 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (1 cup) butter
1 and 1/4 cup heavy cream

Optional for glaze:
5 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Lil bit of salt 






What you need to do: 


1) Put the flour, sugar, and baking powder into a colander (sifter) and sift it into a bowl.





2) Cut the butter into small pieces and put it into the bowl




3) Use your fingers to like mash the butter into the flour. Like you would for a pie crust. Cut the butter into the flour till the dough is like a course crumby dough. Just squeeze each piece of butter with your fingers and it will break apart. Make sure the butter is cold so it doesn't melt in your hands. 




4) Pour the heavy cream into the crumby dough, and mix it up with a fork till it like just comes together.



5) Make the dough into a ball and put it onto a FLOURED counter. Its sticky, so use flour. 



6) Flour a rolling pin and roll the ball out to like half an inch thick. Its gonna rise a little but not so much. 


7) Cut circles out with a cookie cutter, or anything with a small round opening. I used a wine glass. 


8) Heat the oven to 350, and put the biscuits on a greased tray. 



9) Bake them for like 15 minutes, but make sure you watch them because it can be shorter or longer. When there just turning golden brown is when they are perfecccct.







Glaze: 

I glazed half of mine, and left the rest to be eaten with butter and jelly cuz YUM.

1) Sift the powdered sugar and salt like you did with the flour.
2) add the milk and vanilla and whisk it up. (I only used half the amount of powdered sugar this time, usually I'd use 5 cups.)


3) When the biscuits are cool, dip them one by one into the glaze.


4) And put them on a cooling rack to drip.





No comments:

Post a Comment